Joomla is a largely versatile content management system (CMS) software that helps to build an awesome website to promote your business online. Ever since the release in August 2005, several versions have been introduced by the Joomla Project Team to offer exquisite features that can provide the webmasters with the best experience when working with their websites. This is an open source and free solution available for implementation on the websites and a wide range of internet based applications. Today, the platform has become largely popular among the website developers and webmasters due to the convenience of usage without any problem. The CMS is one of the most popular features to be added to a website for the website owners to manage the contents periodically.
With a wider scope featuring website development applications, Joomla can be used on websites of different types including:
• Corporate websites, intranets and extranets
• E-commerce sites
• Small business websites
• Education portals
• Online publications, newspapers, and e-magazines
• Government websites and applications
• Websites for non-profit organizations
• Portfolios and family profile pages
There are five prime extensions for regulating the functionalities on Joomla:
• Components- The functions regulated by the component extension addresses the website and its administration parts that produce the main page body.
• Plugins- These advanced extensions are registered for handling different events from the components and the modules from time to time.
• Templates- The template extension is very important as this concerns the main design of a Joomla empowered website. This is largely oriented to structure the website’s appearance, page layouts, styling and other aspects.
• Modules- Modules are linked to the components for exhibiting the fresh images, contents, or other site elements. The modules do not work on HTML and are generally contained in boxes
• Languages- The language in Joomla can be implemented as an extension or even concern the core parts of your website. This extension can be used for conversion of PSD and PDF files into Joomla.
Joomla Versions and Important Technical Features
The PHP scripting has been used for writing the Joomla to enhance the website design and development projects. Important elements have been included in Joomla during the release of different versions. Version 1.5 came up with the object-oriented programming (OOP) that are concerned with the data fields and methods encompassing the different design applications. The MS SQL and the MySQL were introduced in Joomla version 2.5. The convenience of running several databases besides MySQL offered a more convenience user experience to the new developers. You can now use the PostgreSQL if you have installed version 3.0 or above. The most advanced version, that appeared in April 201,4 was the Joomla 3.3 characterized with advanced password hashing technology, documentation and microdata.
Joomla is the ultimate package for users looking to add more versatility to their website. It is easy to install and apply to your website along with its essential features including page printable versions, RSS feeds, web page caching, language support, search options, polling and now the internationalization.