HTML or the Hypertext Markup Language and CSS i.e. Cascading Style Sheets are two core technologies among others that are used for building Web pages. While HTML gives the basic structure of the web page, CSS provides variety of devices for the layouts – both visual and aural. Apart from and graphics scripting, HTML and CSS make the basis of creating Web Pages and various Web Applications. scripting
What Do We Mean by HTML?
HTML is a programming language to describe the structure of the Web pages and it gives the authors the following means for:
• Publishing online documents with headings, body text, lists, tables, photographs, etc.
• Retrieving online information by a single mouse click through hypertext links.
• Designing forms to conduct transactions with services remotely located. These forms are used for searching information, ordering products online, booking reservations, etc.
• Including video clips & sound clips, spread-sheets, and many other applications right in their documents.
XHTML – A Variety of HTML
HTML with Extensive Markup Language is also developed. This variant of HTML is called XHTML which uses the syntax of XML implying the Extensible Markup Language. XHTML has all similar elements found, but the syntax makes a slight difference. Since XHTML is an Extensive Markup Language application, one can use other XML tools in it like XSLT, (a language to transform XML content).
Changes of Elements in HTML 5:
The most noticeable and interesting new elements in HTML 5 include:
• New semantic elements such as <article>, <section>, <footer> and < header>.
• New form controls like calendar, date, time, number and range.
• New graphic elements e.g. <svg> and <canvas> are there.
• New multimedia elements – <audio> and <video>.
CSS is the language that describes the presentation and appearance of Web pages including layouts colors, and fonts. It allows one to select different types of devices like large screens, small screens, or printers. CSS is not dependent on HTML and can work with any XML-based markup language. The separation of HTML from CSS makes maintenance sites, sharing style sheets across pages and tailoring pages for different environments all easier. This is known as the Separation of Structure or content from the presentation
HTML 5 and CSS3 together have taken just 2 years to sweep the web by storm. Before them web designers had to rely on many altered semantics to create web pages. The arrival of HTML and CSS received great supports from alternative media. XML-style tags and progressive input allows web designers to enjoy awesome features in animation and web designing.