Drupal is an open source Content Management System (CMS) that allows you to organize and publish content, images, and documents to your website or blog. You have endless options for customization. Drupal is currently powering millions of applications and websites today and provide a wide array of modules, templates and features to customize your overall website experience. Drupal is written using PHP and used as a back-end platform for more than 2.1% of the total websites around the world starting from personal blogs to corporate and government websites. It is distributed under the rules of General Public License.
Drupal core is the standard form of Drupal, which contains all basic features common to standard content management systems, such as account registration and maintenance of users, managing menus, customization of page layout, RSS feeds, taxonomy, and system administration. The Drupal core can be used as a simple website, a single- or multi-user blog, as an Internet forum, or as a community website containing user-generated content.
Features and Advantage of Drupal
• Open Source Software- Drupal is an open source and licensed under GNU (General Public License) or GPL, which can be downloaded and shared free of cost. It is developed and maintained by a huge community of more than 1 million website developers and users. The open source makes it a cutting edge platform supporting the latest technology available in the web world. Its objective is modularity, collaboration, easy to use and standard.
• Enormous Community Support- The Drupal community volunteers on hand support by means of various IRC channels, forums and Drupal events. The community has created documentation for Drupal which includes all topics required to work with Drupal. The huge community spread worldwide also helps Drupal to be popular among website developers, websites, and blog owners. Anybody can join the community and contribute to enhance it.
•Customization Modules- You can use it for creating your personal blog as well as a website for an enterprise. There are thousands of add-on modules and in-built designs to choose from, which will enable you to make any site have a great appearance and options. There are pre-configured themes for adding rich features to any website. One can build a personal online community, online store, media portals and many more with the help of Drupal.
• Security Team of Drupal- There is a professional security team who ensures protection of your security and privacy.
Technical requirements to install Drupal and higher
One needs the following to use Drupal:
• Apache, Haiwatha or Microsoft IIS web server
• 5.2 or higher version of PHP
• Any of these three as Database server – (i) MySQL 5.0 or higher, (ii) PostgreSQL or higher or (iii) SQLite, (iv) MonogoDB, (v) MariaDB
Drupal CMS is purely web based and is compatible with all kinds of operating systems. Although it provides a sophisticated programming platform for developers, installing basic web sites, managing contents and administering the framework does not need any programming skills.